Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Sudha Murthy's - How I taught my Grandmother to read



Genre : Short Stories
Rating : 3.5/5

This book is the collection of short stories about the influence of people around Sudha Murthy that have taught her something or the other to be successful, happy and content in the life.
How I taught... is one of the stories in the collection where Sudha Murthy describes her grandmother's determination to learn to read in the old age.

The book covers around 32 stories with each story having a moral. Few are snippets from the lives of J. R. D Tata, A. P. J. Abdul Kalam and Narayan Murthy. In many occasions, to explain the moral, author compares two incidents – one good and other bad. Except for few, others are cliché.


The backcover says book is about people in Sudha Murthy’s life but almost in every story I felt it was more about Sudha Murthy, her philanthropy, her opinions, her style, her foundation, her kids, her observation, her influence on her students, her teachings, her benevolence, her simplicity, her intelligence et al. The way the author observes people around and opines about them made me little uncomfortable. With all due respect, I felt stories slightly reeked of hatred for rich people especially those who are not openhanded. Throughout the book author tries to keep a low profile but at times I felt, in doing that she is blowing her own trumpet.

Sudha Murthy has excellent style of narrating stories. She did a great job in explaining the moral. As an author she is good. I do not deny the fact that she has helped lot of needy people by going out of her way. And I sincerely admire her munificence but I would have really enjoyed these stories of her generosity, had they been penned by some third person and not by herself.

7 Comments:

Blogger Victim Of Desire said...

will pick this one up...dude you really are making me jealous and feel inferior by reading so much..either you have no work at your job or you are just copy pasting reviews from amazon!!!

i havent read any good book in the past 3 months expect reading books on .net

pick up the god of small things if you havent read it yet..its one of my favs..i think we should exchange our our list of read books..i have a list of books that i remember having read...the no.'s less but the taste is eclectic..see how many you've read of those.. :)

May 16, 2007  
Blogger Mrinal said...

~Victim : ‘either you have no work at your job or you are just copy pasting reviews from amazon!!!’ – Victim of Desire… u soon gonna be a mere haath ke maar ka victim!

Look at the speed of my reading.. I take more than 2 weeks to finish 350-400 pages book. I am really a slow reader!!!! I am just regular at it :) Anyways…

I bet u must have read lotsa books than me… I started reading regularly since the day of my thesis defense. It may sound crazy, I have kept track of all the books I read since April 2006- along with the dates I start and finish a book ;) And to my surprise last yr i.e April 2006 to March 2007 I happened to read 33 books (including 4-5 Clavin and Hobbes and couple of other children’s books ;)). Earlier I was almost a dormant reader :) There are loads of classic books which I hvnt read.

And yes.. do send me the list of books that u hv read… Sachin had told me about ur interest in books. I bet u have good choice!

p.s – Have added God of Small things in my to-read list!

May 17, 2007  
Blogger Sampada said...

I think the glaring "I" in the title gives away the fact that she's going to blow her own trumpet.

May 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Victim: That was really bad..but I know she can read so many books..and it kind of hurts. But this girl surely has some passion..

Mrinal: he..he..I remember you mentioning to me about how thesis time also made u read more books..It really sounds funny..

May 17, 2007  
Blogger Mrinal said...

~Sampada : Seriously.. i shud hv seen that coming! Have u read her Wise and Otherwise?

~Sachin : Oh that thesis time!!! Exactly 2 yrs back I was totally bogged down with it :)

May 18, 2007  
Blogger Victim Of Desire said...

33 in a year is a very very good pace..i remember having made a resolution of just reading one good book at month last year about this time..after i graduated..but havent been able to stick to that...have read only about 8 books in the last one year...i hope it gets better this year... and my list isnt any bigger than yours..its about the same...

however i have purposely decided to pick up really famous authors (booker/nobel prize)..and although it takes time to read them, it is still worth it!!

May 20, 2007  
Blogger Mrinal said...

~Victim : I am more into light books somehow. But sure would like to read something intriguing.. U said u gonna send me the list! I am waiting :)

May 20, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home