Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Harper Lee`s - To Kill A Mockingbird


Genre : Fiction
Rating : 5.0/5

One year! Complete one year this book laid in my self unheeded. I know, I shouldn't have ill-treated this timeless classic but the small print and old yellow pages always kept me from picking it. Finally when there was nothing else to read I picked it and yes, I liked it. It made me laugh, made me sad, made me think!

It is the story about childhood incident of two siblings - 12 yrs old Jeremy Atticus Finch (Jem) and 8 yrs old Jean Luoise Finch (Scout). Their father Atticus Finch is a very reknowned and respected lawyer in the town of Maycomb, Alabama. Jem, Scout and their summer-friend Dill are intrigued by their neighbor Boo Radley, of whom they have only heard of and never seen. Boo is depicted as a suspecious character who is believed to come out of his house only at nights. Because of skeptical personality all these kids are always scared of him. They imagine him as a spooky person and are frightened even to pass Boo's property and yet they try some funny things to get a glance of him.

One day kids find some small insignificant gifts as chewing gum hidden in the hole of the tree trunk. Kids love getting those surprises. Later Atticus gets a sensational case to defend a black man, Tom Robinson who is convicted of raping a daughter of a white man, Bob Ewell. This case is the talk of the town and Atticus is refered to as nigger-lover by some cynical people for accepting to defend a black person. Jem, Scout and Dill stealthily witness this case in court and are totally unsatisfied with the jury's descision. Throughout the case Atticus provides strong evidences to prove that Bob Ewell and his daughter, Mayella are lying and even when it is crystal clear that Mayella enticed Tom, jury of white people decides to accuse Tom guilty. Though Bob wins the case, Atticus is successful in breaching Bob's reputation. Bob threatens Atticus that one day he will take the revenge for all the damage Atticus has caused. While in prison Tom tries to escape and is killed by the shots fired to stop him.

One night when Jem and Scout are returning from their school pageant Bob attacks them breaking Jem's hand and later Bob is found stabbed. Jem is carried home by mysterious Boo Radley. From what Scout narrates Atticus believes that Jem has accidently stabbed Bob. But the sheriff insists that Bob stripped on the roots of the trees, falling on his knife and killing himself... whereas the truth is Boo Radley intervens and saves children from being killed. Instead of giving publicity to Boo for protecting kids, sheriff decides to tweak the story. Scout understands that Boo has meant well of the kids and did nothing to harm them so to punish him would be like - To kill a mockingbird - a bird who only sings and does nothing harm to the mankind!

I liked the way this story unfolds, though at time I felt at some places lenghty explanations could have cut short. The character of Atticus Finch is very strong. Caring least for the consequences, he tries to stick to his principles. This warm hearted, intelligent lawyer is sure to win your respect. I liked the tomboyish, innocent character of Scout. She is criticized by other middle-aged ladies of the town for her unlady-like manners and the narration of those incidents is really funny. Jem on the other hand is too protective of his younger sister and is shown to mature as the story flows.

Though the story is about the racism in the early nineteenth century, the childhood innocence makes it a wonderful read. The story, backdrop of the town, language used reminded me of the another classic Gone with the Wind. Though there are lots of characters in this story Harper Lee has sketched them so well that even after you have finished reading the book you can remember each and every one very distinctly. I would say To Kill a Mockingbird really has a touching theme.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its a nice story...you did forget to mention that Harper Lee was a UA graduate!

June 14, 2007  
Blogger Mrinal said...

~R : Was she? I did not know that! Cool.. one more reason to be proud of UA! :)

June 14, 2007  
Blogger Victim Of Desire said...

add that to my list of read books...i did forgot to include it in the list...had read it about 4 years ago...it was good...but not like 'one of the best ever' as it is made out to be in literary circles...and I like Atticus....there are few like him today...

June 15, 2007  
Blogger Mrinal said...

~Victim : No one can beat 'Gone with the Wind' in literary circles. :)

June 17, 2007  
Blogger Victim Of Desire said...

what the hell is wrong with my english!! especially when I comment on blogs...may be it is because i stealthily read blogs in my office time or something..and then try to comment real fast...hehe..but really..my english is not that bad!!

June 19, 2007  
Blogger Mrinal said...

~Victim : What r u talking about?

June 20, 2007  
Blogger Victim Of Desire said...

my first comment read "...i did forgot..."!! i m talking about that...

and btw, gone with the wind, naah....i think there are many better...

June 20, 2007  
Blogger Mrinal said...

~Victim : Oh, that was minor! .. and may be I overlooked for the same reason - Chori chupe office mein blogging :)

June 21, 2007  
Blogger Raj said...

One of my fav books of all times. And the movie starring Gregory Peck is equally moving. The words of Jean Loise are touching.."Neighbors bring food with death, and flowers with sickness, and little things in between. Boo was our neighbor. He gave us two soap dolls, a broken watch and chain, a knife, and our lives..."

June 28, 2007  
Blogger Mrinal said...

~Raj : I bet the movie is good! and BTW I liked that Scout's line too! I read it twice :)

June 28, 2007  
Blogger Sampada said...

I love every word and every sentence of this book. I've read this book many times, and it doesn't fail to touch me. There is so much packed inside one tiny book! It's a true classic.

PS: Yes, the movie's great too!

July 07, 2007  
Blogger Mrinal said...

~Sampada : I have heard of the movie. There have been so many classic English movies so far and it makes me feel miserable that I havn't seen any! :(

July 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home